We accept applications to three graduate degree programs:
- MA/PhD – for applicants who hold a BA or BS degree. (NOTE: The MA in this program is earned on the way to the PhD objective. If you are interested in only taking an MA degree please apply to the MA Plan 2.)
- PhD – for applicants who hold an MA degree in Religion or a related discipline.
- MA Plan 2 – for applicants seeking rigorous exposure and training in the academic study of religion in preparation for further study, or for professional career enhancement. This MA degree does not transfer over into the PhD program at UCSB.
Applicants are admitted on a competitive basis; our admission policy is based on intellectual potential and promise, academic records, and programmatic fit. Undergraduate GPA must be a minimum of 3.0, and current scores from the general test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) are required. A writing sample is also required.
Applications are only accepted for Fall Quarter admission to the program —
Applications for the 2020-2021 academic year: Please check back!
The online application portal will be open mid-September.
How to Apply
For details on how to apply, please see the university’s Graduate Division web site,
Apply online at: https://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp/.
Application Requirements to be Submitted ONLINE:
- Statement of Purpose
- Personal Achievements/Contributions
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Three letters of recommendation (4th letter optional)
- Writing sample
Frequently Asked Questions:
For answers to the most frequently asked questions concerning the application and admissions process, please refer to these topics: