Elliot Wolfson received bachelor and master of Arts degrees from Queens College of the City University of New York, where he pursued the study of philosophy, focusing especially on phenomenology, hermeneutics, and existentialism. He received master of arts and doctor of philosophy degrees from Brandeis University, where he specialized in the study of the Kabbalistic texts and traditions that have remained central to his scholarly work. He was the Abraham Lieberman Professor of Hebrew and Judaic Studies at New York University, where he taught between 1987 and early 2014.
- Heidegger and Kabbalah: Hidden Gnosis and the Path of Poiēsis. Indiana University Press, 2019.
- The Duplicity of Philosophy’s Shadow: Heidegger, Nazism, and the Jewish Other. Columbia University Press, 2018.
- Giving Beyond the Gift: Apophasis and Overcoming Theomania. Fordham University Press, 2014.
- A Dream Interpreted Within a Dream: Oneiropoiesis and the Prism of Imagination. Zone Books, 2011.
- Open Secret: Postmessianic Messianism and the Mystical Revision of Menahem Mendel Schneerson.Columbia University Press, 2009.
- New Studies in Jewish Philosophy, edited with A. Hughes. Indiana University Press, 2009.
- Luminal Darkness: Imaginal Gleanings From Zoharic Literature. Oneworld Publications, 2007.
- Footdreams and Treetales: 92 Poems. Fordham University Press, 2007.
- Alef, Mem, Tau: Kabbalistic Musings on Time, Truth, and Death. University of California Press, 2006.
- Venturing Beyond: Morality and Law in Kabbalistic Mysticism. Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Language, Eros, Being: Kabbalistic Hermeneutics and Poetic Imagination. Fordham University Press, 2005.
- Pathwings: Poetic-Philosophic Reflections on the Hermeneutics of Time and Language. Station Hill/Barrytown Press, 2004.
- Suffering Religion, edited together with Robert Gibbs. Routledge, 2002.
- Abraham Abulafia–Kabbalist and Prophet: Hermeneutics, Theosophy, and Theurgy. Los Angeles: Cherub Press. 2000.
- Reading the Veil: Concealment and Secrecy in the History of Religions. New York: Seven Bridges Press. 1999.
- Along the Path: Studies in Kabbalistic Myth, Symbolism, and Hermeneutics. State University of New York Press. 1995.
- Circle in the Square: Studies in the Use of Gender in Kabbalistic Symbolism. Albany: State University of New York Press. 1995.
- Through a Speculum That Shines: Vision and Imagination in Medieval Jewish Mysticism. Princeton University Press. 1994.