Religion in the Kitchen: Cooking, Talking, & the Making of Black Atlantic Traditions, New York University Press, February 2016
WINNER – 2017 Clifford Geertz Prize in the Anthropology of Religion, awarded by the Society for the Anthropology of Religion at the 2017 American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting
FINALIST – 2017 Albert J. Raboteau Prize for the Best Book in Africana Religions, presented by the Journal of Africana Religions
- “Toward an Inventory of Influence: Biography and Belonging in Sustained Dialogue with Black Atlantic Religion,” Journal of Africana Religions 6, no. 1 (2018): 104-13.
- “The Ontology of Twerk: From ‘Sexy’ Black Movement Style to Afro-Diasporic Sacred Dance,” for African and Black Diaspora 9, no. 1 (2016): 16-31, special issue: “Sounds of Freedom Across the Black Atlantic.”
- “Crystallizing Subjectivities in the African Diaspora: Sugar, Honey, and the Gods of Afro-Cuban Santería,” in Religion, Food, and Eating in North America, 175-94, edited by Benjamin Zeller et al., Columbia University Press, 2014.
- “Working Roots and Conjuring Traditions: Relocating ‘Cults and Sects’ in African American Religious History” in Esotericism, Gnosticism, and Mysticism in African American Religious Experience, edited by Stephen C. Finley and Margarita Guillory, Brill, 2014.
- “Portable Portals: Transnational Rituals for the Head Across Globalizing Orisha Traditions,” Nova Religio 16, no. 4 (2013): 35-62, special issue: “Religion and the Transnational Imagination.”
- “Nobody’s Mammy: Yemayá as Fierce Foremother in Afro-Cuban Religions,” in Yemoja: Gender, Sexuality, and Creativity in the Latina/o and Afro-Atlantic Diasporas, 1-20, edited by Solimar Otero and Toyin Falola, SUNY Press, October 2013.
- “Willful Spirits and Weakened Flesh: Historicizing the Initiation Narrative in Afro-Cuban Religions,” Journal ofAfricana Religions 1, no. 2 (2013): 151-93.
- “Staging Transformation: Spiritist Liturgies as Theatres of Conversion in Afro-Cuban Religious Practice,” Culture and Religion 13, no. 3 (2012): 372-400.
- “Cooking for the Gods: Sensuous Ethnography, Sensory Knowledge, and the Kitchen in Lucumí Tradition,” Religion 41, no. 4 (2011): 665-83.
- “Spiritist Mediumship as Historical Mediation: African-American Pasts, Black Ancestral Presence, and Afro-Cuban Religions,” Journal of Religion in Africa 41, no. 4 (2011): 330-65.
- “The Virgin in the Mirror: Reading Images of a Black Madonna Through the Lens of Afro- Cuban Women’s Experiences,” Journal of African-American History 95, no. 2 (2010): 202-28, special issue: “Explorations within the African Diaspora.”